Wildfires are among Orange County’s leading disasters because the terrain is prone to brush fires in the hot summer months when vegetation is dry.
Residents in all sections of the county should take steps to make their homes less vulnerable to wildfires.
Consider retrofitting your home with ignition resistant features that can mean the different between a few repairs and a complete rebuild after a fire. Clear vegetation in a 100-foot radius around your home, make sure the garden hose can reach any room and cover your chimney, vents and rain gutters with metal mesh or screens to prevent embers from spreading.
- Check out the OC Fire Watch program for volunteer information, motorist safety tips and more.
- Visit the Orange County Register’s Fire Central section for up-to-date fire news and an interactive map.
- Download the Orange County Fire Authority’s free Wildfire Action Plan.
- Find a detailed list of ways to prepare your home or business for fire at Ready.gov’s Fire section.
- Get fire-prevention tips, a list of fire-safe hotels and free fire-safety publications at the U.S. Fire Administration.
- Learn how you can protect your home in 3 simple steps with Cal Fire’s Ready, Set, Go!